Our community is very important aspect of who we are at WCYO and WE strongly believe in supporting the less fortunate.
We are committed to help the members of our community learn music and enjoy it to the fullest.
Our help to our community – Outreach program
Since 2011, we run so called Outreach Program. Main objectives of this program is to create a development orchestra while giving aspiring musicians the opportunity to work in the musical field and gain experience within this industry. Further we hope to offer instrumental tuition to children from marginalised communities in the West Coast.
Our outreach programme is divided into 3 phrases and we truly hope to achieve them all with your help.
Phase 1 – We need a mini-bus to transport our tutors and instruments to the selected schools.
- If we can achieve this goal, we will be able to offer tuition with Strings, Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion instruments.
- We will further look for a talent in the selected schools in order to build Development Orchestra.
- In a later stage of this phase, we are hoping to do Theory and Aural training, as well as practical tuition.
- We will offer opportunities to participate in international examinations as well as local Eisteddfods.
Phase 2 – We plan to expand our program and reach more talented youth
- Our goal in this phase is to prepare and expand the Development Orchestra for performances.
- We plan to offer tuition with the following instruments: Bassoon, Trombone, Piccolo, Cor Anglais (English Horn), Djembes and more specialized Classical percussion.
- We would like to spread the word and expand to more schools such as Masiphathisane Primary School, Hopefield Primary, Diazville Primary, Langebaan Primary School, Noordhoek, Eden Primary School.
- We would like to organise concerts and workshops with the WCYO Orchstra and ensemble groups. We plan on offering Theory and Aural training as well as practical tuition with opportunities to participate in international examinations and local Eisteddfods.
Phase 3 – grow the Outreach program into a successful entity on its own
- Our main goal in this phase is to establish strong lasting roots for this program and continue to expand it.
- We plan on achieving this by giving demonstrations, concerts and workshops in disadvantaged areas.
- We will offer tuition for more instruments and organise workshops ad demonstrations in the disadvantaged areas.
- We plan on establishing various Younger/Beginner Ensembles, Bands, Orchestras.